Daizenji Temple
HistoryCultural heritageAccess and Admission
HOME > Cultural heritage

Main Hall and Zushi Altar of Daizenji National Treasure
This structure was reconstructed in 1286 by Hojo Sadatoki of Kamakura Shogunate with donations he collected from residents of Yamanashi and Nagano Prefectures. It stands approximately 23 meters wide and 15 meters high. It is called the Yakushi Hall, as it houses the Yakushi Triad (yakushi sanzon).

Placed inside are the principal Buddha image flanked on both sides by Twelve Heavenly Generals (juni shinsho). It is the oldest existing set of artifacts in the Kanto region. They were repaired through disassembly and reconstruction in 1954.

Yakushi Hall

Yakushi Hall


Yakushi Nyorai and Two Attendants
Mokuzo Yakushi Nyorai Oyobi Ryowakijizo
Early Heian Period (794- )

Each of the three figures is carved out of one piece of cherry wood. The surface is coated with lacquer, over which gold leaf is applied. The central figure in particular is characterized by depth in the head and body, broad and fleshy shoulders, and protruding lower stomach.

A noble air is observed in his full, broad face, long and sharp eyes and eyebrows, and tight, acutely carved mouth. The pleats of its fabric are not formalized, but rather, expressed in free, flowing lines, which is characteristic of a Heian Period style. The two flanking attendants are made in the same style, but the folds on their garments repeat in a fairly regular pattern, which is also a characteristic of this period. Their stands and halos were added later.
Yakushi Nyorai
Yakushi Nyorai

Ryowakijizo
Ryowakijizo


Daizenji Sanmon Gate
Designated Cultural Property of Yamanashi Prefecture

The gate was rebuilt in 1798 by Tsuchiya Tajima-no-Kami Hidenao, and the carpenter in charge was Dobashi Bunzoshigeki. It is a valuable building structure that offers insight into 18th century Koshu construction.
Sanmon Gate

Sanmon Gate